2022 Gavilan College Trustee Elections
Thank you for your interest in serving as an elected member of the Board of Trustees of the Gavilan Joint Community College District (GJCCD).
Trustee Seats up for Election
The GJCCD Governing Board of Trustees consists of seven trustees and one student trustee. Trustees are elected by residents of the trustee areas in which they reside. The student trustee is selected annually as part of the Associated Students of Gavilan College (ASGC) elections.
This election year GJCCD has five (5) trustee seats up for election with four full-term and one short-term seat available. The seats up for re-election are representing the areas listed below:
Santa Clara County
- Trustee Area 1 (TA 1) - This area consists of areas both east and west of 101 in Morgan Hill. The eastern area runs along the Anderson Reservoir and Coyote Creek and the western border runs along Llagas Creek. The area includes parts of the Coyote Lake County Park, the Institute Golf Course, Morgan Hill Community Park, Paradise Park, Mount Hope Cemetery, and parts of the Anderson Lake County Park.
- Trustee Area 2 (TA 2) - Given that the former TA 2 Trustee resigned from the Board in April, this is a short-term seat and the length of the term is two years. This area includes land east and west of 101 in Morgan Hill and parts of San Jose. The area border falls just outside of the Santa Teresa Golf Club and Santa Teresa County Park. It includes Calero Reservoir County Park, Almaden Reservoir, Cinnabar Hills Golf Club, Motorcycle County Park, Field Sports County Park, Coyote Creek Golf Club, and Cochrane Plaza. The southern border runs along Oak Glen, West Dunne Ave., and Half Road.
- Trustee Area 3 (TA 3) - This area includes parts of Gilroy, Morgan Hill, and San Martin. Landmarks include Mt. Madonna County Park, Uvas Canyon County Park, Uvas Reservoir Park, Chesbo Reservoir, CordeValle, Gilroy Golf Course, Gilroy Gardens, Eagle Ridge Golf Club, and the Gavilan Golf Course.
San Benito County
- Trustee Area 5 (TA 5) - This area includes parts of the city of Hollister, including a portion of the downtown area. The border runs along San Juan Road/Santa Ana Road, parts of Fairview Road, Sunnyslope Road, Valleyview Road, Southside Road and parts of Nash Road. Landmarks include Rancho San Justo Park, Dunne Park, Veterans Memorial Park, Cerra Vista School Park, Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital, and Frank Klauer Memorial Park.
- Trustee Area 7 (TA 7) - This area includes parts of Aromas, San Juan Bautista, Ridgemark, Tres Pinos, and some parts of Hollister. The area borders San Flipe Road, parts of Santa Ana Road, and Highways 129, 25 and 156. Landmarks include San Juan Oaks Golf Club, Rdigemark Golf Club, Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area, Fremont Peak State Park, Almaden Reservoir, and the Pinnacles National Park.
To be eligible to serve as a Trustee, candidates:
- must be at least 18 years old,
- must reside in, and be registered to vote in, the trustee area position you are running for (see maps for trustee areas),
- may not be an employee of the GJCCD, and
- must not be disqualified from holding civil office by the Constitution or any law of the state.
Applicants are encouraged to review the resources below which outline the guidelines for Santa Clara County and San Benito County Elections and the responsibilities and expectations of the GJCCD Board of Trustees.
- Gavilan College Website
- Board of Trustees Webpage
- GJCCD Policies and Procedures
- Budgets and Financial Reports
- GJCCD Redistricting Webpage
- Educational Master Plan
Community College League of California and the Chancellor's Office:
- Information About New Trustees
- Trustee Handbook
- Different Jobs, Different Tasks: Board and CEO Roles and Responsibilities
- Introduction to Fiscal Responsibilities
- Student-Centered Funding Formula
- Trustee Tasks, Knowledge, and Skills
- Trustee and Board of Education
- CCLC Fast Facts
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Holly Strother, Departmental Assistant to the Superintendent/President at email@example.com or 408-852-2803