TRIO, Student Support Services (SSS)
TRiO, Student Support Services is a federally funded program designed to assist 160 first-generation, low-income, and/or disabled Gavilan College students as they prepare to obtain a two-year degree and/or transfer to a four-year university. Your first step to joining the Gavilan College TRiO community is to print out the TRiO Application and return it to the TRiO Office in Library 109.
- Academic & Career Counseling
- Access to the TRIO Lounge (FREE Printing & Copying Available)
- Personal Support
- Financial Aid Assistance
- TRIO Supplemental Grants (Must be Pell Grant eligible to apply)
- Visits to four-year universities
- Informational Workshops
- Cultural & Campus Activities
- Summer Bridge Program
- Foster Youth/Guardian Scholars Services
Apply for 2014 Summer Bridge
TRIO’s Summer Bridge program is a five-week experience that helps transition students from high school to Gavilan College. Students will have the opportunity to develop the skills needed to be successful in college while becoming a part of a new college community of friends and staff support that will continue beyond the summer.
DATES: June 16th-July 18th
Courses and activities are 10 am – 3:10 pm Monday - Friday
at the Gilroy Campus.
The application deadline is: May 22, 2014 before 5 pm. Applications can be submitted to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or by dropping it off at the MESA Center (MA 115).
As part of Summer Bridge, students are required to take two courses as part of a learning community. The first course is a guidance course, which will help prepare students with the necessary skills and knowledge needed to be successful in college.
The second course is a math empowerment boot camp, which is designed to help students advance in their coursework so that they can graduate and/or transfer faster. As part of this course, we help you identify and improve key areas, which can help you score into a higher math course, which can shorten the amount of math courses you may have to complete at Gavilan.
Additional activities throughout the summer include but are not limited to the following:
- Leadership development workshops
- A visit to a four year university
- Summer Picnic
- Academic Excellence Workshops
What are the Benefits?
- Earn a certificates of achievement
- Successfully complete more college units in less time!
- Develop skills to be successful in college.
- Be accepted automatically to TRiO! Space in TRiO is very limited
- Books and some supplies for summer bridge will be provided
- Some selected students will be eligible for a TRIO Grant. (you must have applied for Financial Aid and be eligible for a Pell Grant to qualify).
San Jose State Campus Visit