Welcome to Gavilan College Academic Senate
Senate meetings are held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month in the Mayock House at 3pm. Everyone is invited to attend.
Tuesday May 21, 2013 from 3:00-5:00pm
1) Student Success – The Senate will lead discussion of the various instructional initiatives being used at the college in order to understand how they help students, how their effectiveness is measured, and, if successful, how they are integrated and adapted in other programs.
2) Grants – The Senate will discuss how grants are put together; what results are obtained; how they integrate with existing instruction and overall college planning; with particular focus, how the college moves from the experimental to the institutional phase of grants; and the overall role that faculty plays in grants.
3) Senate Effectiveness – The Senate will encourage senators to play an active role in the communication to and from their departments and in Senate discussions. Faculty participation will be invited. The Senate will seek updates from and give input to Senate and college-wide committees as needed.
4) Retreats – The Senate will plan and host two retreats during the year to include Senate-building activities for both educational and social purposes: one retreat will be early in the year to consider the work ahead and build community and the other one later in the year to evaluate goals and transition to the following year.
5) Relationship with GCFA – The Senate will work towards maintaining a positive relationship with the GCFA that enables both entities to be informed about the goals of the other and give mutual support in areas of common interest to the faculty.