for New Students
to Gavilan College. We know you have made the best decision possible by
choosing to attend our college. The Counseling Department's goal is to
get you started, guide you through the enrollment process, and help you
feel confident about your decision to start your educational journey.
- Complete the online college
application - allow 5 days or more for processing.
- Take the College
Assessment (placement test), a schedule
of test dates is available online, your college application must be on file prior to scheduling a test date.
- Obtain your Gavilan ID and PIN by going to Self-Service Banner and click on Get your Gavilan ID and Pin. If the system cannot find your Gavilan ID number it may be because you have
not waited 5 working days for your Admissions application to be processed.
- Complete the College Kick-Start Online
Orientation or attend the in-person Kick-Start Orientation sessions . The orientation is designed to give you a general understanding
of what the college has to offer, its programs, services, policies,
- New students (students who have never attended college) must complete the college Kick-Start orientation prior to meeting with a counselor.
the campus, get to know your surroundings, you will feel right at home!
- Print Admission
checklist for new students and follow instructions.
- Meet with a counselor
to review assessment results and prior academic records.
- Always have all your academic records (high school) and test scores (Gavilan Assessment or Advance Placement Test Scores) on your person when meeting with a counselor.
- Be prepared to review your educational goals,
interests, and first-semester course selections when you meet with a
- New Students who have never attended college must register for GUID 210 - First Year College Student Seminar; completion of this course will provide you with an opportunity to have priority registration for subsequent terms.
- Counselors can answer many questions and address
concerns that you may have regarding course selections, unit loads,
finances, or any other issue that may influence your decision to enroll
at Gavilan College. Be sure to ask your questions!
- Discuss with your counselor which student
service program may be suitable for you.
Step Four - the last step
- Register for your classes using the Self-Service registration. You will need your Gavilan ID and Pin to use the online registration system.
Payment due dates are listed online. If payment
is not received by the deadline, students may be unenrolled/deregistered from
all their classes.
Check with the Financial Aid Office
for information regarding fee waivers and financial assistance.
- Select a counselor you wish to work with during
your time at Gavilan and schedule an appointment to
develop an educational plan. Once your educational plan is created you will be able to access it online.
The Counseling Department
is available to assist you, please check our homepage
for additional information and services. Good luck with your first
semester, you are well on your way!